Sunday, January 5, 2020

It's January and Santa is still on display.


Cemetery tombstones can hint at a sad story. My wife found the birth-death dates carved on this stone quite upsetting. In a word: heartbreaking. On the surface, the seasonal decorations seemed to cast a hopeful, optimistic feel. My wife is not so sure. Looking at the decorations, my wife felt the message was ambiguous. She believed painful memories were possibly on raw display. The Santa carries a sign asking those stopping by to leave a message. I wish we had left a message of heartfelt sympathy.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

After New Year's I went through a cemetery in Guelph and was surprised by how many graves had things like Christmas wreaths.

And of course one will often find the graves of those who died well before their time.