Sunday, January 12, 2020

Guelph City Hall


























With just moments to spend in the downtown core of Guelph, one might think it would be difficult taking more than one quick shot for my blog. It wasn't. I didn't have to leave the intersection where I parked my car. Each corner contained a delightful hertitage building.

Shown is the 1856 Guelph City Hall constructed of Guelph stone like so many of the heritage structures in town. For the first hundred years the city hall had a clock tower but it was removed in 1961. But the remainder of the front portion of the building is true to its original look.

In 2009 its use as the city hall ended and it became the Provincial Offences Courthouse handling small legal violation such as traffic tickets.

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Beautiful! The next time I go there I'll have to photograph this.

Rockinon said...

Guelph makes one realize what a fine looking world we were capable of creating more than a century ago. For the most part, I don't feel we do as well today.