Saturday, May 29, 2021

Practical, maybe, but no architectural gem

The new post office in Strathroy looks like so many other post offices in Ontario. The new post office is as ordinary and plain as the former post office was extraordinary and beautiful. The old post office was an architectural gem.

That said, I have had more packages of goods purchased online mailed to me in the past two years than I had in all the previous years of my life. Until relatively recently, other than at Christmas, I simply never mailed a package nor had one mailed to me. I can understand why Canada Post closed so many of its offices both large and small.

But, maybe Canada Post moved too fast. Today I get shirts sent to me directly from L.L. Bean and when I bought a replacement computer the other day I had it mailed to me from the Hewlett Packard offices in Mississauga, outside Toronto, and using Canada Post software I tracked its progress as it wended its way to my home over the course of two days.

I have never used Amazon and I rarely use Fed Ex. When I buy stuff online it usually comes via Canada Post. I wonder if the newish, smaller Canada Post offices will prove to be too small for the increased traffic.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

It is very similar to many post offices, especially rural ones.