Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Paving stones are not as green as you think



























Paving stones should be green. Rugged. Long lasting. Potentially, the stones can stay in use forever with just a little maintenance. But, that is all in theory. In reality, styles change, stones begin to look dated and the homeowner has the old one lifted, removed and replaced. And what happens to the old stones? They are hauled to the dump.

The paving stones being laid are not stone at all. They are formed concrete. They are replacing older paving bricks. The small, red bricks were beginning to show signs of age. Until power washed the bricks were beginning to look stained. I called it a patina. Stain or patina, the power washer blasted it away. But sporting a clean surface was not enough to save the old bricks or make them desirable for reuse. I don't understand.

It may be my patio but, still, I think this is crazy. Why do it? Because my wife doesn't agree and one must pick one's battles. Oh well, I managed to save the decades old paving stone driveway and walk. And I kept some of old stones to repair the drive and walk if and when necessary. Maybe, just maybe, it will last indefinitely. I can only hope.

No comments: