Saturday, August 29, 2020

Lid opener

































Does anyone else use this method for opening jars with tight-fitting lids?

I always called the tool in the photo a bottle or can opener. The rounded end opens bottles and the pointed end is used to slowly rip the lid off a can. I did not know that where these openers truly shine is when used to loosen impossibly tight-fitting lids.

I've run jars like this under hot water to expand the metal lid. I've tapped these lids with heavy dinner knives without being able to explain why I thought this action should loosen a lid. I've flipped the jars and slammed the jar lid-first down hard on any handy surface. I've even bought tools specifically engineered to take advantage of leverage to increase the force available to open a jammed jar. All to no avail.

Then, my wife showed me this trick. Take the round end of a simple, metal opener and gently lift the edge of the lid until you hear the hiss of air. One may even hear the lid pop as the pressure equalizes.. The lid will now turn easily.

Enjoy!

No comments: