Friday, December 27, 2019

This heritage hardwood floor is face nailed.


This face nailed hardwood floor is in a home outside London, Ontario. The hardwood flooring looked good, considering its age, but on closer examination it was obvious this floor had been face nailed.

No one face nails an entire hardwood floor today. I was left to wonder just how common this practice was in the past. The home in which this floor is to found is more than a century old. The owner assured me that more homes in the area had similar floors.

Clearly there is a heavy price to be paid in esthetics. But that said, and accepted, the floor is amazingly squeak free. I imagine if one heard a squeak, pull the nail or nail in the area, and replace all with longer ones. Squeak gone.

Was this a southwestern Ontario aberration or was this done in many localities a hundred years ago?


2 comments:

Bob Crowe said...

I don't think I"ve ever seen this, not that I would necessarily be so observant. Our floors are really-looks-just-like-wood vinyl, installed tongue and groove fashion. It doesn't squeak, either.

William Kendall said...

I wouldn't have actually known the difference.