Friday, November 22, 2019

Supposedly, American and Canadian builders understand cladding



Look carefully at the above apartment. Note the beige-painted, metal skinned, insulated cladding on the top two floors of most exteriors walls. This exterior, retrofit over-cladding is very common on older mid-rise buildings, usually apartments, in London. The new cladding may be used on the the top floor only or it may extend down six or seven floors or more.

I had never given retrofitted cladding any thought until an architect I know asked why it was there. I shrugged my shoulders. I assumed it was for insulating reasons but, if so, why didn't it extend down the building all the way to the bottom?

Questions about retrofitted exterior cladding on midrise apartment building took on added importance after the Grenfell Tower fire in London, England. The 24-storey building was gutted by a fire that moved rapidly up the building under relatively new retrofitted exterior cladding. At least 72 people, maybe more, died in the resulting inferno.

I am now investigating cladding as it is being used in London. When I have some answers, I'll update this post. It's an interesting story as insulating a building with the addition of exterior cladding is not a simple job as the Grenfell Tower fire demonstrates.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

I can't say I know much about it either.