Saturday, November 16, 2019

Getting cirrus about weather


There are some things that I've learned from the other images submitted to this group; all cities enjoy beautiful clouds. Clouds, such as the cirrus shown, are both unique and found everywhere.

Before posting this I looked up clouds using Google. I'd heard of cirrus clouds but it was only a name to me. No longer. A cirrus cloud is a type of cloud characterized by thin, wispy strands. The name, cirrus, comes from the Latin word meaning ringlet or curling lock of hair.

Cirrus clouds develop above 20,000 feet (6,100 m)—an altitude where low temperatures encourage the forming of tiny ice crystals rather than water droplets.

Typically, the weather is fair when one spots cirrus cloud formations. But one shouldn't count on the fair weather lasting. As sailors often warn, "Mares' tails (cirrus) and mackerel scales (altocumulus) make lofty ships to carry low sails."

I checked the forecast for Sunday: sunny. Hmmm. Makes me wonder what do sailors really know about the weather. In my personal life, I have often found sailors to be nothing more than weather worry-warts.

2 comments:

magiceye said...

Beautiful image of dancing clouds!

William Kendall said...

Very pretty.