Monday, October 11, 2021

Be careful what you wish for


When I was a boy at big family gatherings like Thanksgiving or Christmas, the kids were ordered to be seen but not heard. Well, the wish has been granted. 

Yesterday was the Thanksgiving holiday in Canada. In the States it come about a month later. And kids today, thanks to their iPads, computer notebooks and smart-phones are truly seen but not heard. With all their attention directed toward their electronic time-waster, often not a peep is heard from the youngest family members.

I'm sure this is something that in many homes across the country played out just as pictured. I never thought I'd be saying this but I miss the loud, boisterous kids of days past. I wonder how many other parents and grandparents are considering cutting the wifi for the next family gathering to encourage a little old fashioned interaction.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

That's one of the reasons why I don't have kids.