Sunday, March 1, 2020

Post a municipal building day


























I've always just called this the fire hall. But in researching this municipal building I learned it is also known as the Byron Emergency Operations Centre. Apparently, the City of London Security and Emergency Management Division hosts an annual Emergency Management Open House at the centre.

I simple must find out when the open house is being held this year. I'd enjoy touring the place and I know my granddaughters would love seeing how   firemen live and they do live in the fire station. Being a working firefighter, as opposed to a volunteer firefighter, is a job unlike all others.

The newspaper where I worked used to have a food column where the writer traveled about the city visiting forgotten kitchens. One night we visited a fire hall and documented the firefighters preparing a dinner together. Everything firefighters do is aimed at team building and that includes making meals.

Firefighters are famous for their talents and for their incredible strength. It may surprise you but the men firefighters are often excellent and very imaginative cooks. All the firefighters take turns as head chef and no one wants to bore the team with a "what-again!" dinner. And the women firefighters never call a man for help when a bottle cap is jammed on tight. The ladies are firefighter-strong, as they must be, and they easily twist off tops that most men would find a challenge.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

I've seen a documentary about firefighters, and part of that included meals in the place, so I'm not surprised.

It's a distinctive looking building.