Sunday, March 29, 2020

Parks are posted



























I walked by the neighbourhood park and noticed that it was now posted. Closed until further notice because of COVID-19. How many children would have contacted the coronavirus from the playground equipment. Any? And if one or two had, would they have become sick? Is this really protecting children? (I'm just asking.)

I worked for years at two newspapers and a television station. Once a story like this one gets good, strong legs, one doesn't ask questions. I wondered out loud about the legitimacy of the liberation therapy cure for multiple sclerosis (MS). I was verbally attacked. (People died after having stents put into the veins in their necks, a dangerous, off-label use.) -- I hesitate to ask any pointed questions about the COVID-19 response. I don't need to endure the attacks.

Sweden has taken a different tack and tack is a perfect word. The goals are the same worldwide but the direction taken can be a bit different. Personally, as a 70 something who is a prime candidate for a full-tilt bout with the virus if encountered, I find myself siding with the Swedes.

Protect the aged and those at great risk for whatever reason. This will keep the deaths down and keep hospital rooms available for those who need them. It will also free up much needed equipment like ventilators. And this, of course, will also work to minimize deaths. At least, that is the Swedish approach.

They are also advocating social distancing and other emergency measures. The Swedes are claiming their approach is science-based and not politically-driven. Time will tell.

No comments: