Saturday, October 5, 2019

Chipmunk: a small squirrel, not a cute mouse


A little more than 400,000 folk live in London, Ontario. But that's not the whole story. London, like all cities, shares its space with other animals both big and small. A nearby cemetery is home to dozens of deer, the forested river valley near the university is posted for coyotes and Byron, my neighbourhood, has chipmunks among its rich mix of wildlife.

It's now fall and the chipmunks are preparing for winter. I put out seeds for birds and I also attract chipmunks. They munch away until, with their cheeks are puffed out with seeds, they scamper into the treed area at the back of my lot where they have their extensive burrows.

I used to call chipmunks cute mice but in doing the research for this post I learned I was wrong. Eastern chipmunks, the kind found in London, are small squirrels. I also learned that the goundhogs that frequent my backyard, also called woodchucks, are the biggest members of the squirrel family. Note the damaged bark on the branch behind the chipmunk in my picture. That may well be goundhog damage. Groundhogs eat bark.

Chipmunks will cart away a lot of seeds. If all goes well, they sleep quite lightly during the winter, waking up every few days to feed on some stored seeds. Chipmunks don't have oodles of fat reserves like animals that go into full hibernation. But, if it's a particularly harsh winter period, chipmunks will go into a deep state of torpor with their heart rate falling and their body temperature crashing. If this state lasts too long, the outcome can be poor.

For more info, see:  Penn State article on chipmunks.

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Pretty soon they'll be burrowed in for the winter.

Linda said...

I like chipmunks! So cute!