Monday, October 21, 2019

An NPO ski hill needs community support



Boler Mountain, the ski hill in London, Ontario, is run as a not-for-profit organization. It qualifies  as an NPO because it was organized for, and it is operated solely for, recreation. Earning shareholders a return on their investment is not one of its goal. Improving the city by providing pleasure for residents is what Boler does and does well.

Years ago I sailed on Lake Huron and a fellow with a large yacht docked near mine was one of the original creator of Boler Mountain. Irish Ferguson was a very successful businessman and he and his friends used their business acumen to successfully create a ski hill for the city. Irish was a man who lived life fully and well. Boler Mountain with its downhill skiing is not the only recreational pursuit that bears his mark in the London area. Irish is one of my personal heroes.

As can be seen by the family name adorning the chairlift, there are lots of folk working to keep the dream of Irish Ferguson and his friends going. When I take my granddaughters to the hill to ski, I see signs everywhere that make it abundantly clear it takes a lot of community-minded folk to keep the Boler Mountain NPO going. I doff my hat, uh, my toque, to these generous people.