Sunday, October 20, 2019

Boler Mountain: a not-for-profit ski hill



The chair lifts are still and the open slopes are quiet but thoughts of skiing are in the air at Boler Mountain, London, Ontario. How do I know? Two of my granddaughters ski at Boler. To ensure they are in the classes they wanted, I signed them up and paid all fees weeks ago. It is now mid-October and if you are just starting to think about skiing, you may already be too late for some classes.

If the hill looks small, it's because it is. The vertical  drop at Boler is greater than I thought but it is still only 207-feet at its highest. It seems as if no sooner are you up than you are down. For this reason, Boler has excellent chair lifts to keep lift lines as short as possible. People come to ski, not to line-up. And Boler does its best to deliver.

The best thing about Boler is its location. It is smack dab in the city's west end suburb: Byron. Boler is but minutes from my home. To take my grandkids to a ski hill of any size, I'd have to drive three hours to Blue Mountain. That's a long time for a little kid to patiently sit in the back seat of a small car. We've discussed Blue Mountain but at their age instant gratification wins.

Come to think about, when I consider the ages of the skiiers I see using the little hill, it is pretty clear instant gratification is a strong pull for lots of us.

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

That's one I hadn't heard of before. The one closest to where I grew up was at Kelso.

Rockinon said...

I took a recreational resources course as part of a degree program back in the '70s. At that time, we visited the Kelso Conservation Area on the Niagara Escarpment near Milton. Today, it is part of Conservation Halton and the ski area is now known as Glen Eden. (Maybe it always was.) I took a quick look at the ski hill specs. Kelso/Glen Eden has a vertical drop about 37-ft. greater than Boler. Total drop is 240ft. But Boler is served by better lifts -- faster. Glen Eden may have more Beginner slopes. All in all, as Kelso/Glen Eden is only an hour down 401 from London, I'm glad you reminded me of the area. It might make a nice change of pace for the grandkids without forcing them to make a six hour round trip to Collingwood and Blue Mountain.