Monday, June 22, 2020

Dental offices are reopening




























Three things to mention here. One, dental offices are reopening in Ontario. Today I saw my dental hygienist.

Two, the charge for a cleaning has gone up by about twenty dollars because of all the costs related to the covid-19 pandemic.

And third and last item, many think all medical procedures in Canada are "free." Not true. In Ontario, dental costs are not covered by our government plan and dental fees can be substantial. Today's cleaning cost me, a retired senior, $163. I put the fee on my credit card as neither my wife nor I have insurance.

Going to the dentist has changed. On arriving at the dental office, you don't entered but remain outside and use your cell phone to call the receptionist and let her know you have arrived. Before entering, your temperature is taken, on entering you answer about half a dozen questions. If you answer correctly, you are given a mask. The only time you do not wear a mask is while a dental procedure is being performed on you.

Room air is trapped by heavy plastic sheets hung over each doorway. To enter or leave a room, one parts the plastic. All staff wear masks, as do all patients. Hygienists and the dentist all wear large, face-covering clear plastic shields as well. And light, thin latex gloves seem to be out and heavier black gloves seem to be in. Rooms are cleaned between patient visits. From the loud, constant background fan noise I heard, I believe the office air was being exhausted at an increased rate.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Complicated, but necessary...