Saturday, April 9, 2022

Now, we know; owls don't frighten.


I've always had my doubts about plastic owl scarecrows. I thought they might work for awhile but surely the ruse would wear thin. Well, I was half right. At least, when it came to frightening nesting robins away from our outside lights.

A robin has been attempting to build a nest on the light beside our front door. It brings the nesting material to the lamp. We find it and brush it off. This little game is repeated many times day and night. Frustrated, my wife hung an owl scarecrow from the lamp. The bird was not deterred.

Then, I had a brain wave. I emptied a tissue box and ripped open one end. The box fit neatly on top of the lamp. The loop of string from which the owl was suspended could be jiggled about to hold the tissue box as well.

The result? The robin, with no place to build its nest, departed.

The lesson? Think twice before buying a scarecrow owl. The voting is still out on scarecrow hawks. My wife had one of those guarding her garden.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

Until it comes back with back up to knock it off.