Monday, December 20, 2021

Elf on a shelf: gimmick or tradition?

 

Elf on a Shelf is a Christmas tradition. I know because the book, published in 2005, says so. Right on the cover it says so very clearly, "A Christmas Tradition." 

I think of the little elf dolls as a fairly new Christmas gimmick but then I'm a bit of a crotchety old codger. I like my traditions to have been around longer than me. 

My middle granddaughter is quite taken with the little dolls and carries one around in its box all through the Christmas season. She never touches the little doll as that would strip it of its magic powers. Humbug!

Today she made ginger bread cookies, now there's a tradition, and gave one of the cookies to the elf whom she had carefully seated in our Christmas tree. I took a picture of both the cookie and the doll and it was either out-of-focus or suffered from camera movement. Taking blurry pictures, now that is a Christmas tradition celebrated all year long.

No comments: