Tuesday, September 28, 2021

North London neighbourhoods are not old but heritage

 


Once I thought that homes like this one in North London were unique. I was much younger then. Now, thanks to posting to this City Daily blog, I realize these home follow a formula, a formula that has been repeated many times throughout the heritage neighbourhood.

In fact, it is so much like other homes that I had to check my photo records to assure myself that I had not run a picture of this home in the past. I hadn't. But, I had run a close cousin. See on right.

Why do builders today find it so difficult to recreate this style and other from the '20s and '30s? One neighbourhood in South London attempted to emulate the period but the concrete rather than clay bricks immediately declared the homes faux.

The new homes in South London occasionally have garage doors with hinges but the hinges are not attached to the door jams. The hinges are as obviously fake as the for-show shutters with no hinges, not even phony ones.