Thursday, July 1, 2021

St. Jacobs is about an hour east of Lonon


The old diesel engine and what appeared to be long out-of-service passenger cars carried a unknown (to me) monikerWaterloo Central Railway. I had to stop, look around and grab a picture.

I have since learned that the Waterloo Central Railway is a heritage railway offering historic passenger train rides between Northfield Drive in Waterloo, the St. Jacobs Farmers’ Market, Village of St. Jacobs and Town of Elmira. Clearly, it is not running at this time thanks to COVID-19 restrictions.

The WCR is operated by the Southern Ontario Locomotive Restoration Society (SOLRS), a not-for-profit, registered charitable organization.  All ticket proceeds go toward supporting operations and restoration programs that the group's volunteers complete at its restoration and maintenance facility in St. Jacobs.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

I think my parents once went on that.