Tuesday, July 21, 2020

New cable laid by new Canadians/

























New cable is being run in my neighbourhood. It is being installed by a crew from Rogers, the telephone and Internet provider. I was curious and tried asking the installers some questions. I didn't get a straight answer from anyone of them and one admitted he didn't speak English and didn't understand what I was asking.

I don't mind that the crew seemed more comfortable talking among themselves in what I assume was Spanish. If I moved to another country, I don't think I'd pick up a new language easily. I'd speak English at every opportunity. I'm just curious.

In Ontario, we take advantage of workers from Central America to pick many of our crops. The hot house area in the far south of the province has a big problem with COVID-19 being transmitted from worker to worker because of the cramped living arrangements that they are given. Some of the farm workers have actually died from the virus.

Are we now bringing in workers from Central America to lay our Internet cable? I'd call around but I don't want to get these fellows in any trouble. Still, this has left me puzzled.

No comments: