Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Some urban problems and solutions are not often discussed

This past January London, Ontario, dumped more than 68 million litres of raw sewage into the Thames River. London's sewage treatment plants were overwhelmed when the runoff from heavy rain in January was too much for the system to handle.

Until I visited Europe and encountered dual-flush toilets, I never concerned my self with how much water I discharge with every flush or how the system handles the discharge. When I was a boy our toilets may have discharged as much as 30 litres of water per flush. In Europe I used toilets that didn't use two litres when discharging a deposit of only water. 

On getting home, I ordered a dual-flush toilet. I had to settle for a 3/6 litre per flush model. It replaced a toilet discharging almost 14 litres per water with every flush. My water bill showed an immediate improvement. That first dual flush model is the best performing toilet in our home.

When we redid our basement, we were unable to get the original dual-flush model. The one we did get is very poor. And it uses 3.5/6 litres and often requires more than one flush. When we redid our ensuite the plumber installed a straight 6 litre per flush unit. He told us all the dual-flush models his store carried often took two flushes when not flushing water and sometimes took even more. In actual use he assured us the model he was selling us was the best for our pocket book and the environment.

I'm disappointed in North American toilet technology. I know dual-flush toilets can work. I have one. And I know they can disappoint. I have one of those, too. Then today I came across the following article: Why America is Losing the Toilet Race and I started dreaming again. The North American john can be better.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

I have seen some of them here.