Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Black scallop variety of ajuga reptans?


Is this the black scallop variety of ajuga reptans? Maybe. But, it could also be the burgundy glow cultivar of ajuga reptans. Although calling it a cultivar may be too generous. Also known as bugleweed, ajuga reptans is a ground cover that can quickly become an invasive nightmare.

I don't remember the purple leaves of this ground cover in any lawn when I was a child. Today, here in my London, Ontario, neighbourhood, it is everywhere.

Am I going to work to eliminate it from my lawn. My neighbours will apply pressure to encourage me to get rid of it. I will bow to the pressure but I am beginning to question the wisdom of expending a lot of energy doing battle with highly successful plants. I'm beginning to think we backed a loser when we decided to grow grass.

Think of creeping charlie or ground ivy. Native to Europe, it was brought to North America as a garden plant with a pleasant scent when cut. It quickly became a headache, forming dense mats of vegetation in lawns and elsewhere which resisted removal. It grew, expanding its territory, without our help. Any plant like that is a weed and war was declared.

Creeping charlie, bugleweed and even clover were all once treasured plants. In some places bugleweed is still be sold. I confess to be fond of clover in my lawn. Why? It's green even when the rest of the lawn is yellow from lack of rain. It looks good from a distance.

Maybe we should let the plants growing wild in our lawns fight it out and let the best plant win. I wouldn't put much money on grass coming out on top.

No comments: