Saturday, January 15, 2022

A ski hill and tubing runs right in the suburbs

 

There are three tubing runs at Boler Mountain. The runs are about ten stories high and tubes have been clocked going as fast as 70 km/h. I find that amazing but even more amazing is the fact that the tubing runs are almost in the backyards of some of the most expensive new homes in London. I expected the NIMBY, not in my backyard, movement to try to shut down the suburban winter sport resort but so far so good.

Maybe its age is providing the facility with some protection. It is decades old and its roots extend deep into the last century. Maybe the fact that the resort is mainly known for its skiing, a winter sport with some panache, also helps to keep the critics at bay.

Come to think of it, I have noted downhill ski tracks appearing at the backyard gate behind some of the homes. My guess it that the homeowners have a family membership and to go skiing they simply put on their gear and slip out their back door. In some cases, there may be a high-speed quad chairlift immediately behind the home.

A chairlift and ski slope may be fine behind a home but I must admit I would find the noise of the snow making machines a bit hard to live with.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

There is something similar made for Winterlude. Alas the event is called off again this year.