Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Cameras don't prevent all accidents

 













The London intersections with the highest number of accidents are monitored by red-light cameras. Run the light and receive a ticket in the mail. Was this accident caused by a car running a red? No idea. But clearly this intersection just suffered another accident despite the presence of the cameras.

I've wondered if the cameras can, at times, cause accidents. I admit that when there are cameras mounted around an intersection, I find my self somewhat distracted. I'm thinking about cameras and not driving. When I googled this question I discovered many researchers believe that red light cameras may not make intersections safer.

Scientific American reports that fear of fines may fuel more sudden stops and rear-end collisions.

No comments: