Friday, November 6, 2020

Healthy hotdogs? I'm kidding, right?


It's pretty hard to claim that hotdogs are healthy. That said, I'm going to do it. These hotdogs are heart-doctor approved. One and a half hotdogs on buns dressed with strips of Strubs Full Sour pickles, chopped red onion, a slathering of French's mustard and French's ketchup has maybe 100 calories and no more than 50mg cholesterol. There is no trans-fats at all.

Why is the cholesterol so low? These are turkey-dogs from the family-owned turkey farm on the south edge of town. My heart doctors allow patients with serious heart problems meat only every other day. The daily limit for cholesterol is 100mg. It doesn't take much meat or many eggs to push one's consumption above the daily limit.

Being it's November 6th, it is safe to say that this is the last BBQ of the year. I refuse to stand in the snow to grill dinner. Why grilled hotdogs are considered a treat in my household, is a puzzle to me. But my wife and my granddaughters all are delighted when dinner is grilled turkey-dogs. When the hotdogs have swollen and split from the intense heat, the hotdogs are perfect. Serve immediately.

A word about the ketchup. It is French's in our home as in many homes across southwestern Ontario. The local Heinz plant, open for more than a century, closed awhile back, throwing the dedicated workers out of work. French's moved in and took up the slack. French's hired many of the unemployed workers and signed new contracts with many of the area tomato growing operations. French's, which in the past did not have shelf space in many stores, is now a southwest Ontario favourite when it comes to ketchup. French's mustard was always popular.

1 comment:

Denton said...

we also enjoy turkey dogs however I have never grill them .. will try that next week. your photo really caught my attention .. good composition.