Sunday, May 15, 2011

Magnolia


 I'm not a gardener.

My wife and I like magnolias and so I bought a tree for my backyard. It has now survived a number of Southwestern Ontario winters and has grown to about four feet. This spring it is in full flower. What a surprise; The blooms are a deep purple rather than pink and the shape is unlike the other magnolia trees in the neighbourhood.

What did I buy?

The magnolia may be the official state flower of Mississippi and Louisiana in the U.S., but some species are native to Southwestern Ontario where there the temperate climate supports a Carolinian Forest.

1 comment:

Montreal Photo Daily - Ken said...

I too like magnolias... the one we have in the backyard has much paler flowers.
Your photos are awesome. Thanks for sharing them.
Check out my blog to see my magnolia.
http://montrealphotodaily.blogspot.com/