Friday, September 4, 2009

Monster Homes Once Called Mansions

As our daughter waited patiently to give birth, I went for a walk. The hospital, as old as it is, has some features worth photographing. But, I didn't. Instead, I walked over to Wellington Street and down Wellington to Oxford Street. This is a gorgeous street. It is one of the nicest in London. The sizes and the architecture of the homes say "story." When I read about monster homes as if big houses are something totally new, I thought of neighbourhoods like this and thought "no." The difference, and my wife agrees with me on this, when we were young we called these homes mansions. I know that my friends and I thought these big homes were cool and we wanted one. So why is it a surprise when many of those kids, and many of my childhood friends have accomplished it, grew up to own their own McMansions?

No comments: