Sunday, July 5, 2009

Colonel Talbot, the Hill

Outside of London, the community has the reputation of being devoid of hills. Not true. The western end of the Ingersoll Moraine, a mix of silt, sand and stony soil (till) deposited by a melting glacier about 13,000 years ago, runs east to west through the southern part of the city. Just over a km from my home in southwest London there is a fantastic little ski hill. It is more than twice the height of the hill near Oxford, Michigan, at which I skied as a teen. Commissioners Road, as it approaches the suburb of Byron, has the well-known snake hill and Colonel Talbot Road at its northern end has as a similar stretch of twisting pavement.

If you have been following my posts, you will know that I have been featuring my lilies. I cannot say enough good things about Horner Lilies northeast of town. I'm buying a few more to add to my growing collection of these gorgeous flowers. (This is not an ad, by the way, I get nothing for this plug.)

No comments: